In 1916, Mexico had a constitutional governor named Adolpho de la Huerta, who was one-quarter Yaqui.
He made the first attempts to restore Yaqui land and stop the bloodshed.
But, the next president, Alvaro Obregon, changed the policy, and the Yaqui-Mexican wars continued.
The last Indian battle with the U.S.
Cavalry happened on January 8, 1918, at Arivaca.
Troop E of the Tenth Cavalry, intercepted a group of American Yaquis on their way to render aid to Yaquis of Sonora,
who were in the midst of unrelenting war.
The Yaquis fought their last major battle at Cerro del Gallo (Hill of the Rooster) in 1927.
They were defeated physically, and Mexican garrisons were established in all Yaqui pueblos and villages.
But, even now, Yaquis say that morally, they are still undefeated.
In 1939, Mexican President Cardenas changed the attitude about the Yaquis.
He granted the Yaqui tribe official recognition and title to their land.
The autonomous Arizona villages became larger, and by 1952, were surrounded by urban communities.
In 1964, with the aid of Congressman Morris K.
the Pascua Yaquis were recipients of 202 acres of desert land where Indian identity and sovereignty can be
asserted and maintained.
On September 18, 1978, the Pascua Yaqui Tribe of Arizona became federally recognized: the Pascua Pueblo Pueblo
of the Pascua Yaqui Indian Reservation officially came "into being".
The Pascua Yaquis have a status similar to other Indian tribes of the United States.
This status makes the Yaqui eligible for specific services due to trust responsibility that the United States
offers Native American peoples who have suffered land loss.